Search engine optimisation is the crucial part when you are starting to sell your product or service online. In fact, it is considered to be the most important step in getting your website listed on major search engines.
Following are some great ways to utilise search engine optimisation in your copywriting to help attract new customers to your website and build your brand:
1. Set your goal first – This may sound very simple, but setting goals for your online business has a great impact on your search engine optimisation. This is because you will know whether or not you have met your goal before launch, and you will be motivated to work instead of sitting around.
2. Infuse your keywords in your copy – No matter how many times you repeat a keyword on your page or in your content, it will not mean anything if the content does not make sense. After all, people who search for something on the internet usually don’t spend much time reading. They are looking for answers. Use keywords to achieve your ideal type of visitors, someone who is interested but needs more information.
3. Focus on one subject per page – If you would like to attract both people and search engines to your page, you would probably need four or five pages with great content to really catch the attention of your audience. Keep the same people coming back by integrating complementary information on subsequent pages. Ensure each page focuses on one area of your subject, and use subsequent pages to dive deeper into the subject. Handy hint: link your pages where relevant!
4. Make your page easy to read – It’s no surprise that the easier something is to read, the more likely it is that your audience will stick with it to the end. To avoid problems, build a step-by-step process or guide for customers to follow. For example, if you are selling screens, then your customers might like a step-by-step guide on how to choose the right screen for their needs.
5. Make your readers stay longer – Users typically spend more time on websites when your content is engaging and compelling. Make sure your content is easy to ready and directly answers a question that they need answered. This is why content research is so important! The more relevant your content, the more engaging it will be. It also helps if you can encourage your audience to spend more time on your website by incorporating a call to action (CTA) in your content to give them something else to do on your website.
6. Use sub-headings – If you are writing extensively on one subject, then the tendency would be to group all related content into one heading. However, sub-headings allow the reader to skim through content to find the exact answers. Subheadings are also a big win for SEO and a great chance to get your target keywords noticed by search engines.
7. Use bulleted lists – Lists are a great way to give your audience a quick and easy way of understanding your topic. Simply bold and underline the key parts of your copy to make it easier for the reader to find what they are looking for. Use lists to:
- Provide a list of products that will help solve a problem
- Provide a list of locations you can purchase your products from
- Provide a list of solutions
8. Use embedded links – Don’t assume that every visitor to your site will navigate through to a landing page. If you want them to read more about your products or services, then include links within the copy itself that send them to specific pages about those products and services.
9. Give your images more value – When you use keywords in the descriptions and on the images on your site, you can embed text links back to images. The search engine then “sells” your image to the customer. Let’s say you have a product called “Jasmine” with a labelled picture and a price tag of $50. Not only do people want to know the price of the product, but it is part of the searchable text Google looks for.
10. Include Reviews – If you have great reviews for the particular product or service your page or post is about, be sure to include them! You can include them as a graphic or as a quote, but these are a great way for you to provide some social proof that people love your products and/or services.
SEO is included in the terminology of business these days and if you want your online business to prosper, it is understood that you need to have an online presence.
Take advantage of search engine optimisation and be visible with the times and find new customers who are searching for your product or service.